UBIMEDICAL is a space of excellence to articulate the connection between the University and the business world. Created to expedite the transfer of knowledge in the search for new technologies, it allows companies to develop the research and laboratory tests necessary to effectively commercialize new products, generating added value for the economy.
UBIMEDICAL comprises two distinct areas: the laboratory area and the incubation area. The laboratory area has the mission of supporting and transferring technology, and comprises a set of resident laboratories coordinated by UBI professors in the areas of health and life sciences. The incubator welcomes entrepreneurs and innovative companies in the same areas.
This structure has enriched the health cluster in Portugal, acting as spill-over linking the University to the market.
The focus of the UBIMEDICAL incubator is to provide the best conditions to develop the projects, offering premium physical spaces at competitive prices, privileged conditions for access to specialized entities (consultancy in the fields of science and technology and management) and facilitated access to public entities, investors and financiers that can support business growth.
Coaching and mentoring are tools that are available to entrepreneurs to mitigate risk and support the acceleration of the entrepreneurial project and its entrepreneurial skills.
UBImedical provides a set of services associated with incubation and acceleration of companies:
– Follow-up of entrepreneurial projects (from the idea phase to the maturity phase of the company)
– Organization of Pitch sessions for entrepreneurial ideas in UBI courses
– Innovation contests and hackathons (to stimulate start-up and growth of the idea and turn it into a business)
– Support in the writing of business plans
– Support for Research & Development, Demonstration and Cooperation applications
– Consulting in Industrial Property
– Access to networks of entrepreneurs, other incubators and facilitators
– Dissemination of diverse information related to contests, prizes, events
– Support in the search for partnerships and collaborations with other companies and entities
– Disclosure of company activities
– Support in raising funds (business angels, venture capital, investment platforms, banking).
Ubimedical has 8 laboratories allowing for the knowledge cross-fertilization, and providing services to industry and community, in the fields of pharmaco-toxicology, exposure to radon effects and health risks, health in buildings, biosensors and instrumentation, general pathophysiology, neurophysiology, and vision.